FROM Octopus closures to sustainable marine resource management planning; promoting equitable governance of tenure (including women and youth) in small-scale fishing communities in Zanzibar and in Tanzanian Coast through extending successful pilot initiatives.

ACHIEVEMENTS:

  • All sixteen community local institutions (BMUs/SFCs assessed and capacitated on governance aspects
  • Eleven marine resource user maps were produced (5 Pemba & 6 Unguja) while Pangani produced one collective map
    through their Collaborative Fisheries Management Area (CFMA) for Ushongo, Stahabu, Sange, and Kipumbwi (USTASAKI
    CFMA).
  • Three communities Ushongo from Pangani Tanga and Gando and Fundo from Pemba managed to establish and continue
    with implementations of temporary reef closure for octopus managed using community developed by-laws.
  • Participatory market system development (PMSD) protocols established and implemented in Fundo and Gando – Pemba
    and Ushongo Pangani Tanga target species/products identified as octopus.
  • A team of six people (fishers and BMU members) in Ushongo village was formulated and trained on how to construct
    and deploy reef balls as a result 99 reef balls were constructed. This resulted in one permanent closure (breeding area)
    with an area of 2.1ha established at Ushongo Pangani tanga.
  • A community based underwater monitoring team with six member formulated and trained in Tanga
  • A baseline survey for the biodiversity monitoring conducted before reef ball deployment and shared with respective
    authorities.
  • A total of 547 copies of FAO-VGSSSF in both English and Kiswahili language are printed and distributed to various
    stakeholders at the national to local levels.
  • All seventeen (16) communities employed correct election procedures which led to the increased number of women
    representatives in coastal and marine resources management from 21% in 2021 to 28.6% in 2022 in general.
  • In addition, women hold several positions in the BMUs and SFCs now they accumulate 31.6% of the total positions
    available for all three project locations (Tanga, Unguja, and Pemba).
  • Regular BMUs/SFCs monitoring and mentorship to examine performance and efficiency in record keeping, patrols,
    meetings and financial management is conducted on monthly basis
  • We have already achieved our target of providing 15,590 Euros through conservation loans; this will increase with the
    expected loan disbursement in Chwaka, Marumbi and Gando next quarter (September 2023).
  • Loan repayment is at 80% (fully paid their loan) and the remaining 20% have an active loan.
  • Two project staff and two community members (beneficiaries/fisher) participate in a Knowledge sharing workshop at
    Nyali Mombasa Kenya held in June 2023. This led to….
  • Sixteen (16) women fishers from the Ecofish project location participate in the Annual Women Fishers Network
    organized by Mwambao Coastal Coastal Community Network Tanzania.
  • Sixteen fishers from Ecofish project location participated Annual Community Network meeting held in June 2023
  • Socioeconomic baseline and EOP in each community completed

EXPECTED OUTPUTS:

  • OUTPUT 1: Sufficient knowledge and incentives given to enable 4 BMUs (Tanzania mainland) and 7 SFCs (Zanzibar) including membership of 30% women, to engage equitably in collaborative and sustainable marine resource management

  • OUTPUT 2: Local marine resource management plans implemented for 4 BMUs (Tz mainland) and 8 SFCs (Zanzibar) (including fisheries closures where relevant), and condition of marine resources improved
  • OUTPUT 3: Knowledge and perception of the FAO Voluntary Guidelines for Securing Sustainable Small-scale Fishers (VG-SSF) is improved amongst policymakers and small-scale fisheries stakeholders in North Tanzania

ACTIVITIES:

  • Scoping survey;

  • Capacity assessment and capacity building trainings of local fisheries institutions and District authorities;
  • Establishment of local marine resource management plans including reef closures (octopus and other species);
  • Artificial reef construction and deployment (reef balls);
  • Introduction of community conservation compliance linked loans (MKUBA);
  • Participatory market development workshops; policy and regulations review;
  • Participatory resource monitoring/analysis at community level