LTA STRENGTHENS FISHERIES MONITORING, CONTROL AND SURVEILLANCE CAPACITIES
LTA through the LATAFIMA project built the capacity of the MCS Operators of the four countries through training and facilitating the four riparian countries to conduct the patrol operations in the lake in order to reinforce the implementation of the regional fisheries charter. The workshop was held from 5th to 6th of October, 2023 to evaluate the implementation of the fishing ban. The achievements and challenges were also discussed during this meeting. About 25% of the countries instituted the fishing ban whereby, after lifting up the ban the fish landing increased three times more than the normal landing. The remaining 75% of the countries did not implement the fishing ban but instead, they did other activities related to the control of IUU in the lake at that particular time. 53 participants were trained on the harmonized MCS operational mechanisms to effectively combat the unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing through the implementation of relevant provisions of the charter at the regional level and reinforcement of surveillance during the period of the closure of fishing in Lake Tanganyika. The two phases of training were conducted at Kigoma in Tanzania and were officially opened by the Guest of Honour who was the Regional Administrative Secretary of the Kigoma region, Mr. Ntime Mwalyambi.